U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: Artistico Unsized?

RE: Artistico Unsized?

It's been some time since I used this method so I am having to do some
recall from over 20 years ago. Actually in the late 60's and early 70's.
Sheese!

Judy is right on one count, It does leave some goo on the back of your print
which stiffens it and makes it a lot less paper like. A decade or so ago
there was a young women in France using the system to a great success --
according to her -- and I believe she was mounting with shellac and removing
it with alcohol so she had solved the gooey problem.

As for peripheral registration, that never was a problem with me nor was the
reg pins.

Drymount buckling? Yes if you do not dry the paper out with a pre-press
first. Maybe that is not in the old instructions. Air can get between the
substrate and the tissue.

Lots of disadvantages fer shure.

It may be a bit overkill now that we have printers doing the quality of work
that Keith Taylor, Kerik and others are doing.

At the time the big advantage was you could do a light exposure with a short
development and blow dry the print before it puddle and ran the pigment. One
could coat, dry, expose and develop in a matter of 5 minutes per coating and
build up the print in layers, so you could sort of sneak up on it.

If you use a 1/8 inch aluminum sheet for the substrate, it has to be very
flat, you can make a coating, expose it and blow dry it till is wet but not
runny, then lay the substrate on a leveling tripod (home made) and let the
coating flow a bit. You can get a very interesting effect, very pictorial if
done right. The pigment will flow in a light fog-like effect from the dark
areas into the lighter ones, but you have to get the wetness just right
otherwise it will leave hard rings on the periphery of the flow. I never did
perfect this as I impatiently moved from one thing to the next, never
staying around long enough to really get something right.

--Dick Sullivan