U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Artistico Unsized?

Re: Artistico Unsized?

Judy said:
I myself found that with my usual materials and methods I
>never did a  print without added external sizing that
>satisfied me.  Maybe I lack  finesse -- whatever, that was
>my experience.

Amen, sista!  I spent one summer using unsized Artistico and
the gum prints were acceptable but somewhat veiled.  When i
finally bit the bullet and sized as my general rule, it was
infinitely more predictable and acceptable.  I did two
unsized prints recently and found the same issue again and
threw both prints out. For my practice, sizing is necessary.

You can NOT size--Sam Wang doesn't--but I agree with Hamish
and Judy that sizing is a good thing.  It makes my life
easier.

Interestingly, I had some guy contact me via my website and
YELL at me for recommending sizing as the "only" way to go!
I don't know the guy from Adam and I can't believe I wasted
time replying to that little s--t nicely. It was all based
on a pic I have of a carbon black step wedge with a swath of
size down the middle showing the difference between sized
and unsized Artistico.  Gees.
Chris

Assistant Professor of Photography
Photography Option Coordinator
Montana State University
College of Arts and Architecture
Department of Media and Theatre Arts, Room 220
P.O. Box 173350
Bozeman, MT 59717-3350
Tel (406) 994 6219
CZAphotography.com