To: <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2007 9:47 AM
Subject: Re: bromoil boot camp

Can you find our what kind of brushes they are?  Where they could be
purchased?

Gord

On August 27, 2007 8:16:55 am Christina Z. Anderson wrote:
Hi Gord,
Yeah, we did; we used his brushes, the ones shaped like a stag foot or
something? What I learned was that the ink really only goes on the very
tip of that brush, not on the whole bottom, and you do all the motion with
that tip--hopping, stippling, walkabout, etc. So the tip needs to be
springy. One of the students got the softer haired brush (is it, fitch?)
and the ink up detail was much finer with the finer hairs, so I was able to
see the benefit of different hair in the brush, too.

Having done a bunch of bromoils a couple years back that were pretty poor,
I realize part of the reason was too much ink and using a roller/brayer.
So for me, the brush made a huge difference, as does non-supercoated paper.
Also not using a hydroquinone based developer which hardens gelatin, and
really at every step of the way watching your technique--distilled water in
the bleach bath instead of tap to eliminate the variable of water, etc.
etc. It's somewhat like gum in that sense--so many variables that if you
start "tight" with the variables and then loosen up you can more easily
figure out what is wrong.

As soon as I "loosen up" I will try Ilford supercoated, using a regular
paper developer, etc., and varying the ink softness to accomodate, plus
using other brushes like shaving brushes and such. But for now, tight is
the way to go until I get proficient. I am sure there are many on this
list (Ed Buffaloe, for instance) who are very loose with their technique at
this point.
Chris