U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: uncurve/curve comparison on Loris' website

RE: uncurve/curve comparison on Loris' website

Don,

(1) I agree. My suggestion was assuming Chales doesn't want to go back
to recalibrate each primary color individually but solve the problem
pragmatically -> still using those curves. He says that his calibrations
for each primary color is good -> if he does something wrong, that
should be the pigment concentration... I don't know if it's enough to
simply re-establish a new standart printing time when cutting back the
pigment amount, but I feel like that won't be enough (= probably curves
also will have to change). And if it's that way, then he'll need to go
back to the long / laborious process of recalibrate... I would
definitely try what I suggested and see if that gives satisfactory-to-me
results. If yes, I would never go back to recalibrate since I'm more
interested in making images instead of making images *in the absolutely
correct way*. (Don't take it like I'm not interested in the latter at
all, I just give more importance to be able to put my vision on
paper...)

(2) Yes indeed. But since Charles said that the only way of getting
paper white with his printer (R1800) was using all inks grayscale
negatives, I simply trust him. AFAIK, R1800 are not the best in the
domain of UV blocking... That leaves him the only option of reducing the
ES of his coating solutions (where available), which translates to "use
less dichromate" and/or "use more pigment" in gum printing. Since we
already suspect that his pigment concentrations are higher than what is
needed, then using less dichromate looks like a sound advice to me.