U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: the grammar of spam

Re: the grammar of spam

Before I comment on Don's comment, I share some spam arrived in my inbox tonight:

The sender was listed as "Cornell," I suppose to imply or associate with Cornell University. The message began, "Here's how much you can expect to earn in your life with the following degrees:"

High School Diploma: $1,100,000
Bachelor's Degree: $2,100,000
Master's Degree: $2,500,000
Doctorate: $4,400,000

You Need a Better Degree, and we can Help!
Obtain degrees from Prestigious non-accredited
Universities based on you life experience.
NO ONE is turned down.
Call Now 7 days a week.

Meanwhile, I hesitate to argue with Don, whose knowledge of grammar is formidable, tho I cannot resist pointing out that he is bound to be much closer to the time of having learned it than I am, which makes it so much easier to recall...

But he says "Pro's...
.... could be a plural form in only two cases
I can think of:
-    if the apostrophe took the place of a missing letter, which is unusual
in a word of one syllable, or
-    if  "pro" is an abbreviation."
Actually "pro" *is* an abbreviation.... for "professional," but I was thinking in terms of a noun ending in a vowel... and, tho it's too long ago to recall specifics, as I mentioned, there is some rule about inserting an apostrophe when proper nouns ending in a vowel are pluralized. I was suggesting that by stretching the point, a non-proper noun could get that courtesy, perhaps so that, tho it was still wrong, it wasn't AS wrong as some others.

English has an inconsistent practice in forming plurals of words ending in
"o", with some such as "heroes" signalling the correct pronunciation by
adding an "e" (which in Dan Quayle's orthography can also occur in singular
forms such as "tomatoe"), and others such as "pianos" not bothering.

One of the few times I can remember seeing an apostrophe used in formal
English in the plural form of a normal o-ending word is in reports of Don
Imus' celebrated remark "nappy headed ho's" (New York Times transcription) .
Of course the phrase creates problems on a number of levels, not least
because "nappy headed hoes" would mean something even weirder, but even so
it seems to be another case of a greengrocer's apostrophe.
Maybe here two mistakes cancel each other out... To be written correctly I'd say it requires a hyphen, as in "nappy-headed ho'", otherwise it could be read as "nappy headed-ho," and what a "headed-ho" would be is not universally agreed upon.

(And by the way Catherine, although some folks may be born with a limited number of apostrophes, as you so aptly point out, many more seem to have been born with no hyphens at all !)

Judy

Don Sweet