U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | the grammar of spam

the grammar of spam

I have been mocked (or praised?) on this very list as grammarian, (or maybe it was "goddess of between you and me"?), but I share this off-topic topic as not entirely frivolous....

AFAIK, no bank or reputable business e-mails customers about anything, let alone asks them to "sign in" with their credentials (my husband's bank phones if there's a question). But I have never seen any communication from a legitimate institution, financial or otherwise, not in proper
business English.

The following, in my queue today, is NOT a joke, as the rest of the pitch was obviously serious. Some people must bite, or they wouldn't bother (would they)? So grammar isn't all snobbery (just the fun part).

Anyway, for the general amusement:

"We've designed our service to ensure that all our customer are
assured and protected. To this notification you are required to
validate your profile to enable us serve you more better. Sign In to
start the validation process."

(next, about my darkroom)

J.