U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: the grammar of spam

Re: the grammar of spam

Hi Judy

Your continued interest in grammar is welcome (not only because I won a copy
of your wonderful T-shirt book in a competition you generously ran earlier
this year). But I think your justification of the apostrophe in "Working
with the Pro's" is too kind.  That could be a plural form in only two cases
I can think of:
-    if the apostrophe took the place of a missing letter, which is unusual
in a word of one syllable, or
-    if  "pro" is an abbreviation.

English has an inconsistent practice in forming plurals of words ending in
"o", with some such as "heroes" signalling the correct pronunciation by
adding an "e" (which in Dan Quayle's orthography can also occur in singular
forms such as "tomatoe"), and others such as "pianos" not bothering.

One of the few times I can remember seeing an apostrophe used in formal
English in the plural form of a normal o-ending word is in reports of Don
Imus' celebrated remark "nappy headed ho's" (New York Times transcription) .
Of course the phrase creates problems on a number of levels, not least
because "nappy headed hoes" would mean something even weirder, but even so
it seems to be another case of a greengrocer's apostrophe.

Don Sweet