U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: the grammar of photographic writers

Re: the grammar of photographic writers

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ryuji Suzuki" <rs@silvergrain.org>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Saturday, October 13, 2007 11:05 AM
Subject: the grammar of photographic writers

However, the spam quoted below reminds me of unnecessary
capitalization. This is actually a very common mistake among
writers of photographic processes. Some people unnecessarily
capitalize names of elements and compounds, e.g., Silver
Nitrate and Hydroquinone (these should not be capitalized). On
the other hand, some people fail to capitalize, e.g., metol,
phenidone and dimezone (these should be capitalized as they
are trade names).
Lots of snipping...

I think this may be a modern change. I was taught to capitalize the names of both elements and compounds but some practice seems to be not to capitalize the compound names, as in Sodium carbonate. If current practice in chemistry is not to capitalize chemical names that are not trade names I will follow this in the future, its a lot less trouble:-)

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com