U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: pinhole negatives without electricity?

Re: pinhole negatives without electricity?

Hi Judy,

About 20 years ago a group of us - students and artists - spent 2 weeks
walking and camping along a river in far western New South Wales (Australia)
painting, sculpting, making cameras and taking photographs. (The Lachlan R.
for the Aussies on the list).
We all made pinhole cameras from scratch out of anything to hand (from mud
and sticks to some very handy cardboard!) and tray processed our negs in a
portable darkroom I made specially. (The darkroom is pictured, in situ, in
the first and second editions-but not the third- of Eric Renner's 'Pinhole
Photography', Focal Press). The portable darkroom also spent 9 months 'on
the road' across the top end of Australia. It's the only way to work out in
the field IMHO.

Both TRIX and lith film negs were tray processed in the little darkroom, by
feel, sitting under the shade of a tree, and washed in the ocean, river,
stream etc with buckets of water. No one - including the non-photographers-
seemed to have any problem with all that. We used both Dektol which works
great, and HC110 -which I hate but it's liquid and concentrated and has a
quick process time (with dilution A I think). I reckon the negs looked fine
and they printed well. A thermometer would have been useful but, being me, I
winged it with respect to process times. I like surprises.

To prepare our print papers we pitched a special print tent (of canvas -
it's a bit thicker than nylon). We coated paper with cyano and vandyke
outside, by moonlight, and hung the coated papers in the tent to dry
overnight. The dry papers were gathered up before sunrise for printing that
day. The negs were printed on timber boards with glass over the top. That
can be done all in daylight, by placing the negs on the coated paper with
your back to the sun, using your own shadow. Washing can also be done in
your shadow.

Anyway it all worked just fine, but since it never rains here anymore
(seriously) I couldn't do that now -the river is empty and the streams don't
flow. BIG sigh.

I hope this account is of some use

cheers Catherine

From: "Judy Seigel" <jseigel@panix.com>