U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: Epson Ink carts

RE: Epson Ink carts

On Mon, 5 Nov 2007, Trevor Cunningham wrote:

The lovely thing about monopolies is that they usually end up chopping their own heads off. If anything, this opens a window of opportunity for other companies to create similar technology and level the playing field. In order to maintain their market share, Epson will have to keep prices low, or play ball.
I've had the impression that (like they say -- was it Gillette that gave the razor free, or nearly free and made its profit on the blades ?) Epson sells its printers more or less at cost and makes its profit on the ink -- or did. But, incredible as it may seem, I know folks who claim to have made very satisfactory prints/negatives with other makes of printer (HP & Brother come to mind, tho that may be just my mind)... In any event I would assume that totally blocking other strategies for ink without lowering the cost of its own cartridges would seriously affect total sales... as Trevor suggests.

Judy