U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Defining "post-modernism" -- WAS--- First define "post-modern"pho

Re: Defining "post-modernism" -- WAS--- First define "post-modern"photography, dammit

Jack, I haven't seen much of Cindy Sherman's work for 20 years or so, but I thought her photos in film format were an extension of film noire with a major difference. Pretty interesting stuff.

As for Fenton's photo, you may find a 3 part tome on the NY Times blog by Errol Morris interesting
( http://morris.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/09/25/which-came-first-the-chicken-or-the-egg-part-one/index.html?ref=opinion )

Pam

jfulton wrote:
... One reason for Cindy Sher-person's success is a critique of "the way things are/were" in regard to women as portrayed in
movies. The role of a woman was cliched yet employed for centuries w/some exceptions like George Sand, the Bronte sisters,
Mary Cassat, etc.
WWII was a sort of climax of the thinking of "through the valley death rode the five hundred" by Tennyson reflecting upon
Roger Fenton's now famous, and then famed, photograph. ...