U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Lightroom (was Re: Adobe Photoshop CS3 update)

Lightroom (was Re: Adobe Photoshop CS3 update)

From: Eric Neilsen <ejnphoto@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: RE: Adobe Photoshop CS3 update
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 21:02:48 -0600

> For those that have not bought LR, Don't!
>
> Many here are not simply sRGB type users where we are
> processing RAW file for quick use, but rather processing RAW
> and using them in a large format way. LR is not designed for
> fine art, but quick use as a RAW to Web/Lab output. From
> what I gather, it has great failing in digital asset
> management ( the ability to log and track your files).

Why do you say that? I can seem to work with Lightroom and
color space other than sRGB... I'm using one of the PVA panels
(not those cheap TN panels--there really is a difference) with
wide-gamut backlight, and I really see the difference.

I don't think anyone thinks Lightroom is a Photoshop
replacement; people use them together. It's just a way to
organize images and apply "RAW processing" to the
file. Indeed, people frequently edit images using PS from
within LR and keep the original and edit copy together.

What I wish Adobe did to LR is to add functions oriented to
image files from film scanning. This includes photomerge
automation in 16-bit color within Lightroom.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
http://silvergrain.org