U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: German translation

Re: German translation

Christina Z. Anderson schrieb:
Thanks for this, Tor and Hans; will check on wiping or smearing chalk..
I might even have confused you with the use of the word "chalk". Even though the German word "Kreide" surely means chalk (as in some kind of colouring mineral compound), it might also be used as a more generic expression for a drawing util, like a crayon. I suppose this is the text you're referring from:

http://www.muenzberg.symmedia.net/gumkuehn.htm

Later in the text, the author refers to Wischkreide as beeing soot dissolved in some greasy compound, making it easier to use for rubber printing than dry soot dissolved directly in the rubber solution. I wouldn't bet on it, but my 2-cent-guess is that it is an old German expression for "conté crayons".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conté

Tor