To: <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 12:10 PM
Subject: Re: German translation

Christina Z. Anderson schrieb:
Thanks, Hans--would s/he know what pigment "wipe chalk" refers to? Chris
Hi Christina,

I am not sure if I can help you, but I'll give it a try. I've been living in Germany for almost 15 years, have never heard the word and googling for it does not reveal many hits either. But, I found it in the Brothers Grimm's German Dictionary from 1860 and although the explanation is very brief "used for smearing technique", it's probably not a specific pigment, but a generic expression for any chalk suitable for wiping or smearing. I'm not sure if the correct English expression is "wiping" or "smearing", but I mean whatever is done on this chalk drawing by Heinz Kroh:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:DSC00022Kroh.JPG

Tor