U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Inkjet negs: Pigment vs. Dye, etc.

Re: Inkjet negs: Pigment vs. Dye, etc.

Keith, here's my favorite system for producing digital negatives:

http://www.inkjetnegative.com/images/RNP/ quick_guide_to_making_digital_ne.htm

The paper you pointed to looks really promising for paper negatives, but the problem is you can never tell about a paper until you try it with your printer and inks, and your process. I wonder if they'd send you a sample.

You probably know, if you've used paper negatives for a while, that some of the coatings for inkjet papers don't take well to either paraffin or oil. I've had bad luck with glossy coated papers in the past, but that was some years ago and I'm sure the coatings are different now. The paper that I settled on and used, oiled, for years was just regular Epson Photo-Quality Inkjet Paper.

Now I have a better printer that can actually print on transparencies (1280) and get great results with cheap transparencies, so I'm no longer oiling negatives.

Loved your story about the buried negatives.
Katharine