U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re. Paper Negatives

Re. Paper Negatives

Jaceck  (  and All  ),
             I think it safe to say that what you thought about less detail
with paper negs is generally true.  Those working with paper negs dont mind this.  It depends on the style of the work in progress.

  We are in the field of alternative photography processes
( sometimes ) which, of course, often swings away from the purist silver
gelatine approach to picture making and  loss of detail is quite desireable
in the finished print. Even with silver gelatine work loss of detail was
often sought after by the use of various means, as with some pictorialist and the ''Linked Ring''  and '' Sessionists''. ( Alvin Langdon Coburn and many
others. )

                Having said that it is surprising how much detail can be
retained from the original negative using paper negs.  Silver gelatine paper
negs can achieve greater detail,  using the right paper, than digital paper
negs. Its a useful topic with many opinions based on the experience of those who have actually made and used paper negs.

                  Looking forard to the discussion, maybe.

Best
John- Photographist - London - UK

> Other than the transparency route of producing negatives for alt
> processes, what are the pros and cons of the Paper negative route?  I
> always thought a paper negative wouldnt give all the detail a transparency
> negative would give?
> Cheers
> Jacek

Jaceck  (  and All  ),
             I think it safe to say that what you thought about less detail
with paper negs is generally true.  Those working with paper negs dont mind
this.  It depends on the style of the work in progress.

              We are in the field of alternative photography processes  (
sometimes ) which, of course, often swing away from the purist silver
gelatine approach to picture making and  loss of detail is quite desireable
in the finished print. Even with silver gelatine work loss of detail was
often sought after by the use of various means, as with pictorialist and the