U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re. Paper Negatives

Re. Paper Negatives

Hi Everyone,

I can only speak from my own experience with paper negatives, but I have
found that the ability to work them has been a real blessing. When I first
started to learn the carbon transfer method I used transparency material in
my printers to make digital negatives. I've tried a number of types of
material that were locally available and eventually even bought several
large rolls of Mylar to use. This turned out to be a rather expensive
proposition.

When making only a single negative for a monochrome carbon, the consumption
of the material was reasonable, but when I began to print the multiple
negatives required for color work I found my material costs were going up
exponentially. The bottom line was that by switching to paper negs, I saved
an incredible amount of money (to me anyway) while working my way through
the more difficult parts of the learning curves. When I go back to
transparency material in the future, I will obviously need to retest, but I
will have the experience to deal with it without wasting a vast amount of
material.

As far as sharpness issues go, I have never had the privilege of being able
to print with large format film negatives so I have no experience there. But
in comparing the sharpness of my prints made with paper as opposed to Mylar
in relation to the amount of money I was saving in materials costs, it
turned out to be a no-brainer. By the time I factored in the aspects of the
paper texture of the final support and light diffusion through the gelatin,
I could see only a negligible difference (if any) in sharpness, not enough
to worry about. I've had greater sharpness issues in just enlarging my
source material up to the final image size.

I print using high power Olec light sources so that could quite likely
influence the final result as well. I have never used a much more diffuse
fluorescent light bank and I imagine that may cause sharpness issues with
paper negs. Paper also has it's own esthetic, which I do not find
unattractive, and each paper is different so experimentation is key.
Besides, if you don't like the effect you get as a negative, you can always
use it for the regular run of the mill printing you need to do every day.

I plan to post my experiences with paper negatives to my web site as I am
able to do so, and will be covering the details of my methods of working
with them as well as comparisons between the papers I have tested, so maybe
check it from time to time. I won't post the actual links because they may
change as I work on the site, but the info will be available through the
"Articles" menu of the site.

Andrea

http://www.andreazalme.com