U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: apples to apples Javel to Chlorox

Re: apples to apples Javel to Chlorox

Hi Chris,

Sure, but the main point - as I understand it - is not the possibility of
getting better midtones separation; it's being able to get both *full /
smooth tonal range* + *convincing blacks* with a *heavily pigmented coating
solution*, *in just one printing*.

I think I would never get such nice gradation and dmax - following the
standard / mainstream procedure - by distorting the tones in the negative
excessively so that it would print OK with a such drastic coating solution.
Too much distortion = posterization = loss of subtle tonal gradation -> that
would cancel the purpose / advantage of using curves.

This is how I take bleach development.