U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Paper negative, comparison to inkjet transparency

Re: Paper negative, comparison to inkjet transparency

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: Paper negative, comparison to inkjet transparency
  • From: Guido Ceuppens <altguido@gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 19:56:05 +0100
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com;s=gamma;h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references;bh=Mk47KtW9ku+YsISYUG1tSqUL+4jpsXRVQPmoiyJ85/o=;b=H8kFHIBeMUb5OkenoTVvw5547QKtrie4e7a07pf5DK4I/RylJ77Kv5Hk9VuYyAc5h9t3IycM8a2a7WJLHYAnUvH1FjPQ/NJ0z9RNkx3+chViynktS+qyMfiF1TSHFfPNOaqzYVmP8sJHAZ7/Lax59C1on1APmacrffEG4FIXLOk=

Katharine,
FWIW I have been using what is called "white technical oil" for a few years now. This stuff is almost as light as water, almost odourless and colourless, I have been told it is the sort of oil used for sewing machines and by barbers to oil their hair clippers. I usually apply with a rag, kept for that purpose, saturated with oil with the paper negative on a piece of cardboard. I let it "dry out" overnight before using it bur when in a hurry I simply put a very thin sheet of transparent mylar (cut off a roll as used by florists for wrapping up flowers) between dry gum emulsion and negative. It does not seem to diminish the sharpness of the print. Clingfilm (used to pack foodstuff) works equally well.
Greetings,
Guido