U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Eight Days To Become A Master

Eight Days To Become A Master

Loris,
           The images you have kindly put on w/s, at my request, are very impressive, indeed, even the ones which you might  consider as failures..........and all this with a process which you have only recently become acquainted.

It was only eight days ago that you wrote the following in response to Marek's brief outline of his work with Javel Water.
Such a short time to achieve so many tests with the Bleach / Gum technique ! !

The images of the attractive lady look exactly as if they are the same image and not different images produced as gum prints.  I noticed this by studying the small but definate blemishes which are obvious even on the monitor.

You have surely achieved mastery since you are able to reproduce different gum prints with this amount of accuracy,
 i.e.  each one with with this amount of faithfulness to the negative.

But please could you explain why you attempted to polyurethane coat test number three and spoil it ?

After several years of working with a direct carbon technique I must admit my results have not come near to what you are now doing.

I am looking forward to seeing the other two failure stages, flaking etc., when time permits.

Very many thanks for your startling response to my irritating questions.
Regards
John - Photographist - London - UK

Tuesday 27 November Loris wrote

''This is very interesting Marek. Thanks for sharing!

I would like to try this tomorrow but, what exactly you mean by “Chlorox”? Is it a specific trademarked product or just a short name for ordinary household bleach? (Such as using “Kleenex “for paper towels – in Turkish, we use “Selpak” for the same instead of longer “kagit mendil”...)

Thanks in advance,
Loris.''