U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: mounting issues

Re: mounting issues

On 18 dec 2007, at 6:56, Judy Seigel wrote:

Why not get some archival 2-sided tape... it's expensive (relatively) -- I bought a roll about 1/3 inch wide & reasonably long at Grand Central Artists' Materials a while back... Something like $12 (maybe more, memory does not serve) for a roll reminiscent of "scotch tape" seemed steep, but the stuff is terrific. Very strong (moreso I imagine if you burnish it down with finger or tool), and as far as I can tell so far, doesn't dry out or give up. Also, to economize, you don't need to run it the entire length of each edge... depending on the thickness and "spring" of the paper, and of course the size -- you can do corners and sections.

I don't know offhand the maker's name, but can check if you need it.

...... on the continent it is sold as Neschen GUDY; but of course rabbit glue -:) is perfect for this ; just ask restaurators all over the world.
cheers,
Henk

HOWEVER, if you change your mind and want to remove the print, you may run into trouble... Offhand, I'd think a solvent would be requived (lacquer thinner maybe?). You can perhaps peel the print off slowly and verrrry carefully, but I wouldn't take a chance. Odds are good back of the print would tear.

J.