U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: OT: 16 bit editing myth or reality?

Re: OT: 16 bit editing myth or reality?

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007, Ender100@aol.com wrote:

... Some on this list may have seen my Nautilus Shell, both as a digital print and a PT/PD print made from a digital negative made from the same file... I don't think you will find any smoother, more subtle tonal transitions than that.
OK Mark, you're a big boy... I think you can take this: Where is it written that "smoother, more subtle tonal transitions" are the essence of great photography, let alone great "art"????

Not that I know enough about the topic to deny it, but I'm trying to learn. Can you explicate? (And is there somewhere I can see this Nautilus Shell on my two-bit computer screen? It might help my education.)

Meanwhile, I think it's EXTREMELY interesting that this hotshot service got away with 8 bit as 16 for .... how long? a year? 2 years? 25 years ?

(And just for the record, my gums are 16 bit. Certified.)

J.