U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: archivalness of gum

Re: archivalness of gum

-----Original Message-----
From: Yves Gauvreau [mailto:gauvreau-yves@cgocable.ca]
Sent: Friday, December 21, 2007 12:13 PM
To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
Subject: Re: archivalness of gum

Hi,

Out of curiosity, wouldn't it be appropriate to also consider
the gelatin and/or whatever else is used with the pigment(s)
in the archivalness equation?

Yves

This is exactly the question I asked quite some time back in this discussion. It seems simplistic to me to just go by the galvanic series and say that because carbon is at the top, that means prints using carbon pigments are the most archival. How do we know that the archival qualities are the same for carbon held in a crosslinked polymer matrix are the same as pure unembedded carbon, was my question? Not disregarding the issues Ryuji raised about the complexities of determining archivality, which also need to be kept in mind.