U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: archivalness of gum

RE: archivalness of gum

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007, BOB KISS wrote:

DEAR KATHERINE,
	Which is what I asked in my posting three hours ago...has anyone
determined that the ghost image is, indeed, pt/pd metal?  I found the same
ghosting on a BACKING board with silver-gelatin prints.
	Jury still out?
		HOLIDAY CHEERS!
			BOB

Another kind of ghost image is often found in old almanacs, and compendia, from about turn of the 20th century. They often have a tissue over the frontispiece, which may be a photograph rather than a gravure (I don't remember -- but maybe someone else does) -- and the image often offsets onto the tissue, in fact I suppose that's why the tissue is there.

J.