U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: direct carbon or gum bleach development

RE: direct carbon or gum bleach development

Keith,
Seems like the cold train has arrived in Houston. Iit was chilly 32F this morning. I have done a bit more printing this weekend (bleach developed gums) with  burnt umber pigment. Every time I learn a little bit more, which means that mu failure ratio is not that hight now. Actually multiple prints at the same printing session are very consistent, much more then traditional gum.

As far as some of your questions: lamp black and carbon black should be colose to the same thing (or are the same thing). They are the very dark carbon pigments. I am not quite sure about printing over VDB with such a heavy pigment load. For one thing the gum image is so dark (in my practice) you would not be able to see anything below it. Actually I have done less pigmented mixes as well, so that might not be a valid concern. Of more concern would be bleaching of VDB silver image during chlorox development phase. You might try a test strip too see if the VDBgets bleached by chlorox.
As far as papers are concerned I think that the bleach develop gum process requires a very thin layer of gum that is anchored in a paper base. That is the interaction od paper fibers and emulsion is critical. I accidentally printed an image on very heavily coated paper (12% gelatin) and I got white spots during development where the image just dissolved, mostly in highlights. right now I am printing on unsized papers with most consistency.

Marek