U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: direct carbon or gum bleach development

Re: direct carbon or gum bleach development

Keith, it's somewhat confusing because "carbon black" is sometimes used as a general term to designate black pigments made from carbon and sometimes to designate a specific pigment, PBk7, which is why pigment numbers are so important. Lamp black pigment is PBk6; PBk7 is called sometimes carbon black and sometimes furnace black and is sometimes given the marketing name "lamp black," but isn't actually lamp black. According to some sources, PBk7 is darker and velvetier than PBk6.

I've been sick for weeks with a flu thing that turned into bronchitis and haven't got down to the workshop to continue my experiments with this. But because I'm still interested in exploring this, I wonder if you could say a little more about what's not working for you; is it "just" staining, or is it a problem with the bleaching too? Thanks.
Katharine