U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: gum mixes

Re: gum mixes

Hey Scott,

I had been doing gum over pt/pd, but some of the same reasons you list here are also why I wanted to try gum printing (by itself). I was having all sorts of problems, and then I looked at James' book and followed his formula (and "prepared for success!"). I had no problems after that, except for-- as ever-- attempting to locate the perfect paper. One issue I've never liked with gum prints is the grainy sort of look I always see, but that everyone keeps saying doesn't have to be a given. I did notice that in the last portfolio exchange, Don Bryant's gum prints, in particular, were smooth (not grainy) and really lovely. Someone else had really smooth ones, too, though I can't now remember who that was -- Marek maybe? Anyway, Don was nice enough to mail me some paper he'd already sized, and the paper he sent worked great. I'd been using glyoxal (sp?) with my sizing, but Don uses glut. He thinks that makes the difference. I'm not sure; all I know is, the prints were smooth(er). For me, speaking only as a gum-printing rank beginner, there just seems to be so many variables that the inconsistency can be very frustrating. I'm probably still doing everything wrong, but I am keeping notes now, and that does help. I'm hoping to include some in this next portfolio round, but I'm also hoping we change the start date of that from January to something closer to February 1. ??

Diana