U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Fresson question

Re: Fresson question

Reflective D-Max is just a term that describes the darkness of a print as measured with a densitometer, so it is expressed as a log value. Pt./Pd., kallitype and vandyke prints on art papers generally have a maximum Dmax of about log 1.45 - 1.55. Silver prints on glossy papers can have a Dmax of up to log 2.2 or even higher. A direct carbon print like a Fresson print will have a maximum Dmax of below log 1.4. Carbon transfer prints can have a reflective Dmax as high as silver papers, though this depends on many working conditions.

Reflective D-Max is a technical description and does not make any implication about aesthetic quality, though many pursue it for its own sake as they do detail and sharpness.

Sandy