U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Measuring DMAX

Measuring DMAX

Is there a way to measure the DMAX of a print with a scanner /Photoshop? I do not have a densitometer at hand. I vaguely remember a thread a while back, but could not find it.
Marek

> Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 10:06:14 -0500
> From: sanking@clemson.edu
> Subject: Re: Fresson question
> To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
>
> Reflective D-Max is just a term that describes the darkness of a
> print as measured with a densitometer, so it is expressed as a log
> value. Pt./Pd., kallitype and vandyke prints on art papers generally
> have a maximum Dmax of about log 1.45 - 1.55. Silver prints on glossy
> papers can have a Dmax of up to log 2.2 or even higher. A direct
> carbon print like a Fresson print will have a maximum Dmax of below
> log 1.4. Carbon transfer prints can have a reflective Dmax as high as
> silver papers, though this depends on many working conditions.
>
> Reflective D-Max is a technical description and does not make any
> implication about aesthetic quality, though many pursue it for its
> own sake as they do detail and sharpness.
>

> Sandy
>

> At 12:25 AM -0500 1/12/08, Judy Seigel wrote:
> >

> >Now, however, a possibly dumb question... though I doubt anyone's
> >reading this far, so what the hey: What is "reflective D-Max"?
> >D-max on an opaque surface rather than in a transparency? Or?
> >(I've never seen that term -- tho, just ask me & I'll explain ULF.)
> >

> >Judy

Make distant family not so distant with Windows Vista® + Windows Live™. Start now!