Date : 16/01/2008 19:12:54
Sujet : Re: Fresson = Echague Look.

Ortiz Echague does appear to have had problems with the coating
machine. When I was in Madrid in the mid-80s doing my research for a
book on pictorial photography in Spain I met a member of the Real
Sociedad Fotografica who had worked with Echague on many occasions in
his laboratory. He told me that Echague had experienced many
difficulties in getting a good coating, and that the number of prints
that he actually made with papers from the machine were very small
compared to the number he made with papers manufactured by the
Fresson family.

Sandy

At 11:36 AM -0600 1/16/08, achakali@wideopenwest.com wrote:
>Tom,
>
>The Fresson's have never patented anything.  If they had it wouldn't be a
>secret but rather a public document.  Their process is a trade secret.
>
>Ortiz was sold a Fresson coating machine and formula according to Bill
>Foster (Bill printed in Fresson when the paper had been available to him, he
>knew and photographed with Oritz).  Oritz purchased Fresson paper from the
>Fresson's up until he bought the machine and formula.  It is Bill's belief
>that the machine never really functioned properly as he never saw any new
>work from Ortiz once the machine showed up . . . this might explain why no
>one has ever seen a print from Nadeau who is the current owner of the
>machine.
>
>Sincerely, Art
>

>On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 17:19:27 +0100, Tom Sobota wrote
>>  John,
>>
>>  I remember reading somewhere that in the 1960's there were several
>>  Fressons who were descendants of the inventor of the method. One of
>>  them sold the patent to Ortiz. The others are still active with the
>>  process at the Atelier Fresson. Probably at that time there existed
>>  two or more machines.
>>
>>  Tom Sobota
>>  Madrid, Spain
>>
>>  John Grocott wrote:
>>  > Hi All,
>>  >              Jose Ortiz Echague, undoubtedly,  though the galactic
>>  > amount of  successful prints he made by Fresson methods,  has become
>>  > almost synonymous with this Direct Carbon process.
>>  >
>>  >                Other  well known photographers such as Sheila
>>  > Metzner had their pictures made by the Fressons. Echague, himself,
>>  > worked with the Direct Carbon paper which was sold to him.  The Fressons
>>  > gave Echague the formulae for the emulsions together with the machine to
>>  > mass produce the paper for himself  since they discontinued making it
>>  > for commercial sales.  One wonders how  the Fressons continued to make
>>  > the paper, as they still do to this very day for their own use, if they
>>  > never had another  machine or alternative method standing
>by..............
>>  >
>>  > I am dabbling with plans to make a machine tho' most of my  Direct
>>  > Carbon coating methods have so far been successfully  done, by
>>  > hand, without a machine.
>>  >
>>  > Marek seems to be achieving good results, also,  without a machine.
>>  >
>>  > Hey Ho. The quest goes on +on + on + on + on.............
>>  >
>>  > John - Photographist - London - UK
>>  >
>>  >
>

>--
>WOW! Homepage (http://www.wowway.com)

__________ Information NOD32 2798 (20080116) __________

Ce message a ete verifie par NOD32 Antivirus System.

Binettes GRATUITES pour vos courriels - par IncrediMail! Cliquez ici!