U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: math question verrrrrry off topic

Re: math question verrrrrry off topic

There are actually 600!/(600 - 150)! ways to randomly pick 150 items from a bag of 600, where n! (pronounced n-factorial) is defined as 1 x 2 x 3 x ... x (n-1) x n. If you don't care about which order those 150 are picked you can divide that number by 150! - giving roughly 57 followed by 261 zeroes

Yves Gauvreau wrote:
Hi,

if one consider the number of ways to pick randomly 150 items in a bag with
600 items in it, then the answer is infinity and whatever you do after that
like multiplying it by a tiny tiny tiny probability, even then your stock
with infinity.

One would need to approach this problem another way and in our case the 150
people are not choosen randomly in practice. The only other way around to
give an answer to Chris, is to find out what's in the bag. For example, say
we fill the bag with 10 oranges and ask someone to pick 3 items in that bag,
what is the probability of getting 3 oranges. 100% of course but if the bag
contains 3 oranges, 4 bananas and 3 pear, the answer is différent of course.
All this to say we need to know what's in the bag.

Regards,
Yves