U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Mac OS X Leopard (Re: new problem)

Re: Mac OS X Leopard (Re: new problem)

Hey Judy,

That's really interesting. I guess that's a real tightrope walk-- do you just get your product out there, so everybody views you as the innovator-- always ahead of your competitors, regardless of whether it works or not-- or do you work really hard at a product, ensuring its reliability/compatibility, before you get it out there-- ensuring that your customers know that you and your products are reliable. How many customers do you alienate, either way?

Well, the main reason that I installed Leopard when I did was simply for its feature, Time Machine. I have all my digital images on my desktop, and I have a huge number of scanned film (negatives) on there as well. In the last several months, I had scanned, organized, and cleaned up a ton of film, which took an excruciatingly long time-- hours, days, weeks, rolling into months-- and although I back things up every so often, I wasn't doing it nearly often enough. Except for negatives I've never scanned, everything else I have photographically (images) are on my iMac.

So, for me, Time Machine was enough of a draw to install Leopard. It's an automatic backup -- keeps an up-to-date copy of everything. If anything crashes, you can go back and recover everything. It backs everything up hourly. That's an amazing capability to have, so well worth it (for me) for that feature. I just didn't know it would screw up everything else.

Obviously, this isn't an earth-shattering situation-- just really really annoying. I'm mad at both Apple and Epson (can you tell?), though I do like my 3800 and I do like my iMac, and I do like Time Machine, which appears to be working. Hopefully, by March, if Epson is telling the truth, things will improve at my house.

First, John Edwards drops out and disappears, and now this. What's next?? ;)

Hey-- when you get a chance, do ask your son what he decided to do-- does he now send out the innovative, albeit half-ass, product-- or does he send out the late "perfected" product instead. Though he's still in business, did he lose any loyal customers in the process?

Thanks, Judy.

Diana