U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: First steps into tri-colour gum

RE: First steps into tri-colour gum

Yes, that is a good book. Wilcox's "Yellow and Blue Doesn't Make Green" is
good too. Painters use slightly different terminologies and they describe
hue slightly differently too, but you can still get concept out of the
books.

The main idea is if we have pigments with pure hue, then you can mix any
desire hue theoretically, but our pigments are not pure in hues, so if you
know what the impurity is (by that I mean the hue impurity although the
pigment itself might be pure in composition), you can use that to your
advantage.

Just a quick example, if we have pure red and pure yellow (I am using
painter's term now), then mixing pure red and pure yellow will give you pure
orange. But we have a wide varieties of red. Cadmium Red leans a little bit
toward orange (which means it has some yellow impurity as far as hue is
concerned). Alizarin Crimson leans a little bit toward purple (which means
it has some blue impurity).

If you want good orange, then use Cadmium Red + yellow; if you want slightly
unsaturated orange, use Alizarin Crimson + yellow.

Of course we have different hues of "yellow" too.

And blue has different impurities too. Even thalo blue can have a green tone
or purple tone.

So you can mix up good green to emphasize your leaves if you want to, or mix
differently to de-emphasize your leaves but emphasize your flowers.....

Dave