U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: curves and gum and Christopher James book

Re: curves and gum and Christopher James book

Kees,

I agree with you on this, "in such a way that the image tones in the final
print are exactly as the image tones onscreen", it is the goal of every one.
Unfortunatly, it is not what happens with real prints. Remember the part
where you basically stretch the scan values of your digital step wedge test
to bring them in the same range as the screen values? Whichever way you look
at it, either stretching the scan or compressing the screen image are
equivalent transforms and that changes the relationship between your
original values.

Say I ask you what would happen if you do the following experiment, place a
blank piece of your transparent material (no ink) and a piece of UV opaque
marerial beside it. You expose and process this test as usual, now if you
scan this without any adustments and both the darkest black doesn't result
in a 0 value and the whitest white doesn't result in a 255 value, that means
you can't print any original values under and above those 2 limits for one
and worst you have lost the relationship between values you work so hard to
get. Basically the transformation that happens is equivalent to the crude
experiment I suggested below. That may result in a print you like and I
can't argue with that, it's a question of personal taste but for myself
using a method of making a digital negative that is bound from the start to
modify the relationship of my work, will simply wont cut it for me.

Regards,
Yves