U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: curves and gum and Christopher James book

Re: curves and gum and Christopher James book

Ah, we finally hear what's really bugging Yves about the curves. He's disturbed at how the curved image looks. Please keep in mind that any "profiling" is bending color and contrast. It's just that when you have the luxury of choosing a "3800 Enhanced Mat" profile for a color print, the dirty work of that bending and changing is done behind the scenes, away from prying eyes. One could liken it to observing a corpse at a funeral and saying, "my, doesn't he look alive." Were you to have an honest discussion with the mortician, you might not enjoy hearing about the cardboard forms jammed in the mouth, the cotton under the eyelids and the plugs in the ears. But if that's what it takes to make for a pretty body, why should we care? Our "curving" is just like that. Sure, we're bending tones, but when you have tens of thousands of tones to futz with in a 16-bit image and you don't see any evidence of problems in the final print, why the dickens should we fixate on the curving? That's time better spent shooting or making prints.

In the 16 years I've been making digital negs I've witnessed an evolution in the ability of the average photographer to grasp curves. For most people who've been immersed in digital imaging for a while, tweaking a digital neg curve is no more "trial and error" than using curves on the image itself as part of the post processing. I tell students that if you learn Curves and Masks, there's a lot of Photoshop you DON'T have to learn. My personal feeling is that about 70 percent of our image-editing power resides in those two controls so learning how to finesse a curve, whether for a print or for a digital neg, is a skill that will serve you well for the rest of your photographic career now that photography is digital.

Speaking of printing, right now I'm going back into the darkroom to print platinum. And the 3800 negs (on InkPress Transparency Film) are printing beautifully. Yes, the Curve that is applied did make the image look like hell on the computer monitor. But when I finish the print with gold and varnish later today, I'll stand back and say, "my, doesn't that print look alive."

Dan