U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | glyoxal v. formaldehyde

glyoxal v. formaldehyde

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008, Christina Z. Anderson wrote:

My bottom line is that as far as toxicity, glyoxal and formalin are just as toxic and that tends to be downplayed in comparative discussions about glut.

This is a supposition, tho it jibes with my experience: I've worked with both glyoxal and formalin a lot -- with students, too: The actual strength of the solutions is low: (from memory) about 20 cc per liter? When you read the hazards lit, they're talking about industrial strength 40 hours a week. We use it for maybe an hour a couple of times a year. In other words, I doubt the risk from any of them in those amounts for that time is even measurable (and no way as lethal as canned sardines).

J.