U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: Tintype Workshop Dan

RE: Tintype Workshop Dan

Carmen,

Mark and France Scully Osterman will be teaching numerous wet plate
workshops over the next few months in both Texas and New York. Check out
their website (www.collodion.org) or email France directly. They are
arguably the best living practitioners of this process and two of the most
generous people I've ever come across. John Coffer was recommended and that
would be a good option as well, but only if you plan to work in the field.

<Backstory>
Nearly every living wet plate practitioner can trace their training to
either Mark Osterman or John Coffer. There are some exceptions, but I won't
deal with them here. Most of us were either trained by Mark or John or one
of their students. By design or circumstance they have radically different
approaches. I'm about to make some distinctions and generalizations which
may sound unfair, so let me say for the record that they are both
world-class artists, both represented by big New York galleries and both
highly respected. My comments are not meant to disparage either of them. For
the record, I've been a formal student of Coffer's (slept in the tepee) and
an informal student of Mark and France (never met them, but have sought out
their assistance on numerous occasions over the past 3 years which they gave
without ever meeting me or getting anything in return).

Osterman vs. Coffer
Art vs. Craft (I mean this respectively)
Studio vs. Field
Contemporary vs. Historic

Osterman's have trained many world-class artists on this process, including
Sally Mann. Although they cover how to work in the field and have that
experience their practice is primarily studio based. If you plan to
primarily shoot in the field, Coffer is a much better choice. He is a marvel
outdoors. He will teach you how to make darkboxs, plate helper tools, adjust
your chemistry for heat and humidity, how to make cases, etc. As Joe pointed
out, his Doers guide is worth every penny! Coffer also tends to be historic
minded. Meaning he won't use a collodion mix that isn't close to an original
recipe. Osterman, on the other hand, is informed by historical precedent,
but disregards the unnecessary. You will use trophy aluminum in Osterman's
class for tintypes, but Coffer is more likely to serve you canned beans for
lunch, then cut up the can, hammer it, jappan it and then use it for a
tintype--sounds romantic, but this is laborious. Osterman will teach you how
to make plates with an enlarger, coat the back of your plates with colored
paint, and make contemporary oretones.

Anyway, hope this is helpful.

Mark