From: Jeremy Moore [mailto:jeremydmoore@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 5:12 PM
To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
Subject: Re: best film for 3800 PT/PD negs

I am using the regular NON-Ultra for Pt/Pd, cyanotype, salt prints,
albumen, and gum with no problems. I get newton rings when using the
Ultra Premium and had to spray the back of the negatives with a non-UV
blocking Krylon matte finish to get rid of the interference patterns
against the glass of the NuArc, no problems at all with Newton's rings
and the NON-Ultra.

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 3:46 PM, BOB KISS <bobkiss@caribsurf.com> wrote:
> DEAR MARK,
>
>             Thanks for the clarification.  Yes, the 17" should do it.
>
>             Still wondering about that "extreme density" issue.  Please
> recall that I mentioned that I have used ImageSetter negatives with
> excellent resulting PT/PD prints.  They produced pretty high densities.
>  What do you mean by extreme?  Can you give me a number?  Have you ever
> needed those densities  I can drag out my densitometer and read one of my
> ImageSetter negs.   Also, what kind of increase in exposure does the Ultra
> require.  25%?  50%  Double?  More?
>
>             I am sorry to be so persistent about this but, as I live in
> Barbados, it will cost me a LOT of money to ship this stuff in.  If I am
> wrong I will be stuck with it and still have to get a replacement.
>
>                         CHEERS!
>
>                                     BOB
>

> ________________________________

Given
> that I will be making negs mostly for PT/PD printing are there any real
> advantages to using the Ultra Premium over the Premium?  Will I need that
> extra ink holding capacity?  The scratch resistance sounds useful and the
> faster curing sounds even more important.  How long do the Ultra Premium
and
> Premium respectively take to cure?
>
>             Re:  Cutting the film and curl.  Below you stated, "When you
cut
> sheets from the rolls, I would suggest always cutting so that the curl of
> the Pictorico is in the direction of the paper feed rather than the
> direction of the print head travel."  I want to make 16X20 prints.  If I
buy
> the 17" wide roll, this dictates that I must cut the film about 22" long
> (brochure says max size 17X22 and I want the extra clear film outside my
> 16X20 image area) and that dictates the direction of the curl, yes?  Does
> this mean that I must buy the next wider roll, i.e. the 24" wide roll?
>
>             The reason I want to get this right is that, if I must buy a
> roll, I will be making a significant investment in film which I am happy
> do as long as it will be the RIGHT film.
>
>                                     CHEERS!
>
>                                                 BOB

Chris

http://www.inkjetart.com/cart/press-transparency-film-c-1_753_937_986.html