U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: I'm back! Hi to all

Re: I'm back! Hi to all

Hi Loris, to join the chorus, welcome back and try Galina...

That is, Galina Manikova has done very successful and b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l prints in VDB, cyano, and I'm pretty sure gum, too, on glass... in fact I have a wonderful one (VDB bordered with colored glass frame) hanging in my living room window, which I can enjoy from the computer, as I face north. She also teaches it (or used to) in her workshops.

How far is Norway from Turkey? (On my map it looks practically next door.)

She may in fact have some info on her website... Not sure if www.galina.no is the web address. I also have www.wailingwall.no, which is probably for her current (fabulous !) show in New York... but her e-mail address as found in my file seems to be:

galina@online.no

Galina is in any event, generous with info, and probably can also cite sites for added info.

A friend of mine, incidentally, took Galina's workshop in Spain a few years ago and did begin printing on glass.... I think she got distracted before perfection arrived, but plans to go back -- and, as I recall, it seemed not as tricky as expected -- or at least as I expected. Also, as noted, very beautiful...

This friend, incidentally, was an expert in printing silver gelatin emulsion photographs on glass, until they stopped selling that emulsion in the US & I think it was Czechoslovakia (spelled wrong ??? -- but you know the the one I mean) stopped making the glass. That particular process involved a very exacting and specific "subbing" with gelatin -- tricky to do, but beautiful result.

PS. Didn't Peter Fredrick do his process (something-o-type ?) on glass as well ?

PPS. I can't believe it's 6 months already, Loris -- tho I doubt the time went as quickly in the army as it did here... Anyway, again, bravo bravissimo on your return...

Judy