U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: "serum of milk"

Re: "serum of milk"

If I were to do it, I would do this:

1. dissolve skimmed milk into a low-fat milk to make it about
   20% thicker than the milk alone.

2. slowly heat up, while stirring, to boil it briefly.

3. cool down to about 38C.

4. optional: add a few drops of beta-galactosidase enzyme.

5. inoculate with yogurt starter culture.

6. hold at 38C for 6 hours.

7. Save the portion you want to eat. (refrigerate for 2-5 days
   to improve flavor)

8. Overferment for 2-3 hours at 38 to 40C.

9. Strain the yogurt over cheesecloth.

10. Use the casein part to make tzatzik.

11. Use the whey part for whatever that is discussed here.

The point here is that overfermentation of yogurt drops the pH
to about 2 to 3 due to more lactic acid produced by the
L. bulgaricus and S. thermophilus, and this makes separation
of whey easier. Most of the acid stays with the whey. Regular
yogurt also separates whey when strained, but not as
efficiently.

The enzyme added at the step 4 makes the yogurt sweeter
without increasing calorie, because lactose (milk sugar) is
not sweet, but can be hydrolyzed to galactose and glucose, the
latter of which is sweet. However, this is not done in
commercial yogurt because the cost of a drop of the enzyme can
buy a lot of sucrose.

Speaking of whey separation, there is a delicious dish, which
I think originated in Modena, Bologna or Firenze or somewhere
in Italy, though I may be wrong. I'm sure this didn't come
from Israel. It is pork chop braised in whole milk. It is
quite simple and tasty, but I remember that skimmed milk and
lowfat milk were easier to separate casein in the pan, making
the sauce in clear phase and brownish solid. The key is to use
absolutely fresh pork and generous amount of butter. Some use
flour on the pork and brown it in butter first, and that also
helps.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Strange how people who suffer together have stronger connections