U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Eliminating CaCO3 in buffer in "achival" watercolor papers

Re: Eliminating CaCO3 in buffer in "achival" watercolor papers

Acetic acid is rather a poor choice to dissolve calcium
carbonate, despite the high solubility of calcium acetate.
This is because carbonate is still present in the solution and
the dissolution is partly a competition between acetate adn
carbonate. The question is which one binds calcium to make a
more stable form at the given condition. In other words,
acetic acid may break down calcium carbonate momentarily, but
then the free calcium ion is abundantly available to react
with something else, such as carbonate. This is because
calcium acetate is not very stable in water. On the other
hand, if you used EDTA, Ca-EDTA complex is so stable that you
won't see many free calcium ions in the bath and the removed
calcium is unavailable to react with carbonate or other things
that may be present in the bath.

In order to dissolve calcium carbonate effectively, you will
need a chelating agent with a high stability constant with
calcium.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Strange how people who suffer together have stronger connections