U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: image viewer for gigapixels

Re: image viewer for gigapixels

From: Loris Medici <mail@loris.medici.name>
Subject: Re: image viewer for gigapixels
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 18:27:29 +0300 (EEST)

> Probably Ryuji was pointing to the fact that there are no next / previous
> buttons in Preview -> that's the only thing I miss (as a convert) in Mac
> OS...

Preview in Leopard does have prev/next buttons in its
toolbar. I think this was not in Tiger.

From: Jack Fulton <jefulton1@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 07:41:50 -0700

> Okay .. tough choice for a file as large as you have.

Indeed.

> Though you say Preview in Leopard is a poor choice, what do
> you mean by that?  It opens a 300 MB in seconds on my dual
> 1.8, 6. GB RAM Mac and one can zoom hither and thither.

With smaller files, Preview works, although rather slow.
(In fact, Photoshop CS3 is faster!)

With larger files, Preview can handle only reduced sizes but
as I get closer to 1:1 or even magnified view, the rendering
may take too long, or it may just give me black image. (The
file is JPEG.)

I wish Lightroom 2 was a bit better in this area...

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Strange how people who suffer together have stronger connections