U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Ruined 3rd tricolor gum print! Grrrr...

Re: Ruined 3rd tricolor gum print! Grrrr...

Hmm, it looks more like pigment coarseness than paper coarseness to
me, but I'm not going to argue about it; I could be wrong. It's easy
enough to determine, one way or the other, by noticing whether it
lessens as you reduce the pigment load or not; if so, the coarseness
is probably a pigment concentration issue; if not, the coarseness is
probably a paper issue. But if it proves to be a paper issue, if
your paper negative really gives you that much graininess in
printing, I'd suggest using a different paper, unless the graininess
is an effect you especially value.

By the way (not for Loris particularly but for anyone who's
interested) I have a visual here

http://www.pacifier.com/~kthayer/html/tonality.html

(second visual down the page) that illustrates how coarseness/
graininess increases with pigment concentration.

But yes, I think it's a good idea to follow this print through and
see how the layers work together in the final print; that's the key
for tricolor, and the more prints you do, the more you'll understand
about that interaction between the color layers. You're doing great,
carry on. The reason I've commented so much is that I'm interested,
not that I'm trying to drive you crazy or anything.
Katharine