U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Presses for Photogravure/Gravure/Photopolymer

Presses for Photogravure/Gravure/Photopolymer

Hey. Don't want to argue about what a photogravure is:-)
Just wanted a little advice on presses.

I'm using the KM73 plates, and I'm about happy with what I have
in terms of production... I'm producing plates.

I tried to run it through a very very small etching press and I am
simply not getting anywhere near enough pressure to draw the ink onto
the (dampened Rives) paper. I clamped it down further and when I turn
the handles I lift the press:-)

I used some large oder presses with photopolymer plates at Kala Institute
in Berkeley, so think the final thing here is to get a beefy press
for intaglio work.

Any recommendations?  I am sitting on a quote from a few months back
from Takach for the 3060 table top press. Though they suggested maybe
a 3450 floor press.

This is big. I could go smaller. But other options besides Takach?

Advice?

Brian