U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: oil printing

Re: oil printing

Sorry, I forgot to answer the other part of your question, why in oil printing a negative is used, and in gumoil, a positive, when it seems like they should work sort of the same way. You're right that in both cases the oil paint is deposited mainly in the shadows and less in the midtones and highlights, so it seems like you'd need the same kind of intervening matrix. The difference is in the qualities of gelatin vs the qualities of gum, which makes them behave differently when acting as a resist for the oil paint. For gumoil, you use a positive to expose the gum backwards (more hardened gum in the highlights, not much or no hardened gum in the shadows) and then you wash off the unexposed gum, leaving the hardened gum to serve as a resist in the highlights and partially in the midtones and the paper free to accept the oil paint in the shadows. For oil printing, you expose a negative to harden the gelatin most in the shadows; when you put it in water to wash out the dichromate and to swell the gelatin in the highlight areas. Then the oil paint is applied; it sticks to the hardened gelatin in the shadows and is repelled from the swollen gelatin in the highlights. Same result, but opposite ways of getting there. Does that make sense?

Hope that's helpful, and Henk, I hope you'll set me straight if I've got this wrong somehow. I've done one gumoil in my life, just to see what it was like, and no oil prints, but this is how I understand the principles involved, and since no one else seemed to be answering the question, thought I'd just blunder in.
Katharine