U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Gum on masa, again

Re: Gum on masa, again

I just finished sizing about 8 Masa sheets cut to 11x14" size, will try to
print a 7x10" image on them. Will use the same curve I devised from
Fabriano tests, so maybe the result won't be as good as Fabriano, but the
question is cracking so I won't bother to curve this particular paper for
these tests. (I expect registration problems too; since the thin paper is
more affected of the image shrinkage caused by drying / hardening gum -
anyway...)

My biggest print was about 9x12". BTW, the carbon tissues I've made on
that paper were full sheet...

I stated which side I use in my first message; it's the front side
(watermark reads right). It's a quite smooth paper to my eye. In fact, the
Hahnemuehle Photo Rag smooth inkjet paper I have in my closet is more
textured than Fabriano...

In my view, that's not a grid pattern. It's simply the irregular marks
left by the excessively swelled drying gum (including micro bubbles /
cracks). Besides, what you see is heavily accentuated by the strong and
relatively oblique light of the scanner (plus the 4x magnification) - it's
not visible to the naked eye. Also, it's not regular, therefore can't be
labeled as gridline since gridlines, by definition, should exhibit a
regular pattern.

You say it's more pronounced / visible on one coat, see this:
http://tinyurl.com/3j2u2d
It's a 400dpi scan at 100% of a one coat gum (first layer of a later multi
coat print) made on Fabriano - the pigment load / density is close to your
style of printing (as I get it). Do you see any pattern? I can assure you
that I don't see anything that wasn't present in the negative...

10 Ekim 2008, Cuma, 11:13 pm tarihinde, Katharine Thayer yazmış: