U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Gum calibration (was: Paper negatives- Ink Selection)

Re: Gum calibration (was: Paper negatives- Ink Selection)

Keith, I've said this before, but since it keeps coming up I'll say
it one more time: if your goal is to reduce exposure times, this
isn't the most fruitful place to look IMO.

Mark has pointed out that exposure time isn't a function of printer,
ink type, ink color or printer settings:

ender100 wrote:
> Exposure time does not depend on the printer, ink or color of the
> negative—it merely depends on the substrate you are printing
> on—providing all other variables are equal.

and logic says that exposure time can't be a function of curves,
since the exposure time is established before the curve is
calibrated, and doesn't change after the curve is calibrated.
Exposure time is a function of a lot of things such as light source,
dichromate concentration, pigment concentration, paper speed,
environmental conditions; how the negative is generated is not a
significant factor, in my experience.

Katharine