U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: gum prints on Yupo

Re: gum prints on Yupo

Hi Keith,

I have two different kinds of gesso. Both Daler Rowney brand, one System-3
white, the other is Cyrla black. System-3 white works well in terms of
keeping the gum image (but still exhibit a chemical - not pigment! -
general stain). Cyrla black reacts just as you describe and doesn't hold
the gum image (even with added calcium carbonate) at all; as soon as you
put the image in the development water, it leaves the substrate instantly
(exactly as you experienced / showed in your first trial with Artboards
gesso).

I plan to change the gesso additive from calcium carbonate to silica fume
-> hoping it won't react with dichromate but still provide tooth for gum
emulsion... Better, I will look for proper flexible plaster -> for making
"gum-o-fresco"s ;)

Your gesso tests are beatiful / interesting! I liked most the last one...

3 Kasım 2008, Pazartesi, 7:26 pm tarihinde, Keith Gerling yazmış: