U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: ferric oxalate

Re: ferric oxalate

Oh - I should mention - I got a bad bottle of Ferric Oxalate
from someplace other than Bostick and Sullivan and I could
NOT get the stuff to dissolve, and that which did had a
funny solution color.

The material that would not dissolve was lumpy and *hard*. The
B&S stuff I've used has been very fine powder - clumps break
easily - hell, the powder is so fine it goes airborne easily
(be careful - where a mask).

That bad batch wasted a whole bunch of my time over a couple days.

That said - normal ferric oxalate solution is a pain to make - heat
and shake, repeat until done.

Repeated heating and shaking should achieve goal in about two hours...