U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: separations for gum printing

Re: separations for gum printing

Loris,
An Xrite 318 or similar would work fine, they show up on ebay frequently under $50. (no, mine's not for sale, as I need my densitometers, thank you very much)

I have considered doing a partial "calibration" using a standardized (personal) mix of gum and pigment, keeping copius notes, of course. There comes a point where "close enough" is, in fact, close enough. My idea is to determine an optimized curve shape, then tweak it visually. After seeing Keiths tricolor gums, monochromes hold little interest for me, at least as a prepress weenie for years, I can understand the RGB/CMYK separation issues and the relative merits of each (as well as how to tweak each to optimize) Of course having all the tools at hand to do this makes it easier.

erie

Loris Medici wrote:
Made me giggle. Hehehe...

Thanks for reminding us your pages on CMYK and RGB separations. Even if I
first started with the idea of doing CMYK separations in mind, I'm
completely convinced in that RGB is a better option "to me" right now...

On the other hand if I had any access to the tools they use for
calibrating printing presses/printers, I would definitely try to devise a
custom CMYK profile using custom inks, just out of curiosity... But that
would be (maybe) too correct / machine-like working style which I'm not
interested in at all, as a final purpose...

22 Kasım 2008, Cumartesi, 6:21 pm tarihinde, Katharine Thayer yazmış: